Frequently Asked Questions


What do I need to do to acquire a Heavy Vehicle Licence?

  1. First of all you need to hold your car licence for 1 year if you are applying for a MR licence, and 2 years if you are moving straight from a car licence to a HR.
  2. If you have held a HR licence for 12 months then you can either upgrade to a HC class or head straight into one of our 2 day B-Double courses.
  3. It helps if you have already completed your written test at Queensland Transport, however this is not entirely necessary for you to start your lessons with Cairns Truck School.


How many lessons do I need?


  • As each individual is different, as to how they learn and how quickly they pick new things up, the learning time can really vary from person to person.
  • However we generally find most people tend to take about 3 lessons and a lesson before the driving test at Queensland Transport for the Light to Medium Rigid vehicles, and 6-10 lessons ( 7 lessons on average ) and a lesson before the driving test at Queensland Transport for Heavy Rigid and Heavy Combo.


Can you book my test for me?


  • Yes! We like to organise your test so we can ensure that the vehicle and your instructor is available to accompany you for the test.


What is a booking fee?


  • A booking fee of $60.00 (this includes TMR test fee of $57.90) when we book with Queensland Transport to book your practical exam with them.
  • Other expenses associated with your licensing at Qld Transport would be the Written Test Fee of $24.75. The written test consists of 10 multiple choice questions. The test can be completed either before or after your practical driving test, however your licence won't be upgraded until you pass both written and practical driving tests (prices are subject to change). Practice your written test here


How do I pay for my lesson?


  • We accept Eftpos, Cash, Direct Deposit and Cheques. All lessons are to be paid for on the day or in advance.


Where do I attend lessons?


Your last lesson will be at Qld transport office on Kenny St Portsmith just prior to your practical driving test. 

What else can you offer that the others can’t?


  • CTS can offer you a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for the class of vehicle you wish to gain a licence in.
  • Fatigue management training that allows you to drive for longer duration each day
  • Load restraint training
  • Courses in completing work diaries
  • Chain of responsibility courses
  • Female instructors in all classes of licence

How long should an RTO’s course be for a student with a HR licence completing TLIC4006 Drive MC Vehicle for a licensing outcome?

  • TMR accepts the current industry standard for delivery of TLIC4006 Drive MC Vehicle for a class HR driver licence holder as being at least 2 days (16 hours) training and assessment with a minimum 2 hours on-road final competency assessment. Please note that the final on-road competency assessment is separate to any on road training provided in the MC vehicle.
Back to Top